Over six million car accidents occur in the U.S. each year, and approximately three million people are injured. Although traffic accidents happen in every city in the country, there are some areas that have a higher than average accident rate. The following five cities, for example, all have so many car accidents annually that drivers need to be extra cautious whenever they are within their city limits.
Top Five Cities for Auto Accidents
1) Washington, D.C. – According to Allstate’s America’s Best Drivers Report, the country’s capital is the worst place in the nation for traffic accidents. In fact, drivers in D.C. average an accident once every 4.8 years. On the flip side, Fort Collins, Colorado has the lowest accident rate with drivers experiencing only one accident every 14 years. Washington, D.C.’s poor ranking is nothing new, either, as it has been at the bottom of the list of major cities for several years.
2) Baltimore, Maryland – Although Baltimore’s drivers have less to worry about than the drivers in D.C., they still have to contend with an average of one accident per person every 5.3 years. The state of Maryland lost 547 people in 2009 due to traffic accidents, and a large quantity of these deaths occurred in Baltimore.
3) Glendale, California – Glendale is a suburb of Los Angeles, and the dangerous traffic conditions of that area have landed it in third place for auto accidents for the past few years. If you are driver in Glendale, you can expect to be in an average of one accident every 5.5 years.
4) Newark, New Jersey – Newark has a bad reputation for traffic accidents, but at least it is number four on the list instead of number one. Still, Newark’s resident deal with a car accident an average of once every 5.9 years, making this a less than ideal area for motorist safety.
5) Miami, Florida – Miami does not currently deal with as many car accidents per driver as the other cities on this list, and there are actually a total of 11 cities that had a higher accident rate in 2009. However, Miami has been included on this list because it has been getting worse each year. For example, it was in the 19th spot in 2008, but it climbed all the way to the 12th spot by 2009. Due to this, it is definitely necessary to be careful while driving in Miami, especially with an accident rate that averages once every 7 years for each driver. Many people will need to seek out a Miami auto accident lawyer at some point during their stay there.
Dealing with an Automobile Accident
If you are the unfortunate victim of an automobile accident, it is important to contact an attorney. After all, car insurance will not always cover all of your medical expenses. If you have a serious injury, it will be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit in order to ensure that you will not end up financially destitute due to someone else’s actions. Make sure that you gather as much evidence as possible from the scene of the accident, and contact an attorney as soon as possible to begin the legal process.
Keep in mind that accidents can happen anywhere, so it is important to be careful no matter where you are driving. Even Fort Collins, Colorado lost 11 people due to traffic accidents in 2009. Therefore, you need to remain alert anytime you are behind the wheel.
Writer Anthony Joseph is a freelance author, and contributes this article toward educating people of the growing accident issue in this country. By reaching out to a Miami auto accident lawyer at Steinger, Iscoe & Greene, you will get a sense of the experience and dedication that they can bring to the table when representing you. Their attorneys will assist you in getting back on your feet, and handle the stress of dealing with the insurance companies.