Menu

Childrens Toys With Magnets: Accidents Waiting To Happen

by Ladyblogger on November 24, 2012

Although they might not seem dangerous when they are fully operational, any toys that contain magnets have the potential to lead to very serious and perhaps even deadly consequences. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), it is important for parents to keep a close eye on any toys that contain magnets. If the toy becomes damaged in a way that could allow the magnet to fall out, it is best to either repair the toy or throw it away.

What is the Problem with Magnets?

The CPSC has reported multiple issues with children ingesting magnets. The biggest issue occurs when a child ingests two or more magnets at the same time. Consider for a moment what two magnets do when you place them together, and imagine what that can do to the inside of your child’s stomach. If the two magnets are able to attract each other, they can cause blood poisoning, intestinal twisting, a blockage, perforations or even death. Due to these potentially serious issues, the CPSC has urged parents to be extremely vigilant when dealing with toys that contain magnets.

Why are Magnets Used in Toys?

According to our Reading personal injury attorney, even though toy makers, parents and the CPSC are aware of the potential danger of letting children play with toys that contain magnets there has been no big push to get them removed from the marketplace. There are several toys that rely on magnets in order to work, including construction toys that allow children to snap various pieces together. Magnets are also the main feature of several popular alphabet learning toys. Because the likelihood of a child ingesting not just one magnet but two is very minimal, most people are not overly concerned. It is okay to let your child use toys that contain magnets as long as you are committed to supervising their actions with those toys.

What can I do if My Child Ingests Magnets?

The first thing that you need to do is take them to the emergency room. It is imperative for them to receive medical treatment immediately. The longer you wait, the greater the odds are that they will end up dealing with the serious or even deadly consequences of having multiple magnets in their stomach. A lot of parents believe that their child will simply pass anything small that they accidentally ingest, but when it comes to magnets, it is important not to take any chances.

You can definitely file a lawsuit against the toy manufacturer if your child becomes ill or dies from ingesting magnets. In order to have a good chance of winning, though, you must hold onto the toy. It will be important to be able to demonstrate that the toy did not perform as expected. In other words, if a magnet was sewn inside a toy and it fell out, it will be necessary to show the seam that came apart. If a judge or jury can see that the toy fell apart quickly from normal play, they will be much more likely to side with you. It is important to note, however, that the warning that the CPSC issued might actually work against you instead of helping your case. After all, the warning clearly states that all parents should be cautious about letting their children use toys that contain magnets, and it is possible that you will lose your case if your five-year-old was using a toy meant for children over the age of 10.

 
Anthony Joseph is a freelance author, and a contributing writer for McMahon, McMahon & Lentz. If you’re in need of a Reading personal injury attorney, this firm has the skills and experience it takes to win the case. Many personal injury cases settle before going to trial. These settlements are usually achieved through pretrial negotiations. In cases where no settlement is reached the case will proceed to trial.

Previous post:

Next post: