If you have been involved in a car accident, there is no legal precedent preventing you from handling your own accident claim and request for compensation. By using the following guideline, you can proceed with making a claim for compensation for your injuries and financial losses from an auto accident.
Procedure for Handling your own Case
• Obtain a copy of the police report regarding the accident. If the police have listed it as no-fault or undetermined fault, you will need to seek the advice of an accident engineer to determine who was at fault for the accident.
• Arrange for repair or replacement of your vehicle, and secure a rental car. Make sure that the other person’s insurance company is responsible for these costs.
• Arrange for medical care and follow up care through your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) clause of your insurance company. Make sure that the hospital and other care providers bill the policy directly.
• Calculate the extent of the injury, figure in any disability that may have occurred and determine the value of these damages in terms of lost earning potential and extended medical care.
• File a lost wage report to the PIP provider and arrange for payment of any future dates that you miss from work to make medical appointments.
• Negotiate with both insurance companies until you come up with a fair and just settlement amount that will cover all of your losses from the accident.
• Do this in a timely manner. There are time limitations for which you must adhere to make a claim for a car accident claim.
Of course, there will be other issues that may arise during this process for which you must be prepared. If the insurance company does not come to a fair agreement, you must be prepared to face them in court. You must also adhere to all court mandated timelines for responding to information requests and production of evidence.
Opt For A Much Easier Way To Handle your Case
If you believe that this process may be a little too burdensome, especially when you are trying to recover from the physical injuries related to the accident, you could opt for legal representation from a car accident attorney.
An auto accident attorney is familiar with the insurance system and with managing an accident case. They can effectively manage the insurance companies, and are equipped to see that your medical needs are met without expense to you. They can also represent you before these same insurance companies to arrange for the compensation for your claim.
Look for an attorney local to where the accident occurred to ensure they are familiar with all the applicable laws for the area. If you know someone local to where the accident occurred, ask for references. If this option is not available, an online search can be done to find local attorneys. For example, Google “auto accident lawyer in Miami FL” to obtain a list of attorneys that are knowledgeable in auto accident law in the Miami area, or the pertinent area of your accident. This is also a great time to navigate their websites to check for references or look for reviews.
An attorney knows what the legal requirements are in your state to make a claim, and they also know what the insurance companies are required to pay for, even if these same companies do not willingly offer that information.
By hiring an accident attorney you give yourself the one thing that you need the most, the ability to recuperate without stress. The body heals much faster and responds better to treatment when it is not stressed. If you are worried about financial matters, dealing with the insurance company, or researching laws, you are not in a proper frame of mind to heal.
Your health is the most important thing that you will ever possess. It is more important to heal from this accident than anything else. Allow an attorney to do the hard work while you worry about recovering.
Legal writer Lisa Coleman shares information of what needs to be done when trying to handle your own case, but encourages retaining an attorney instead. Steinger, Iscoe & Green, an auto accident lawyer in Miami FL dedicated firm, is equipped to handle the legalities for an auto accident case, including issues over any injuries sustained.